What I Eat in a Day #3

February 05, 2017

Another 'what I eat in a day' from Christmas break back home!

Breakfast

For breakfast I love starting out my morning with a smoothie bowl and a black coffee. Today I decided to make my smoothie bowl a bit more special and make it an acai bowl. Smoothie bowls are a go-to breakfast for me when I have time to make them because they are super filling and full of great ingredients. I usually don't measure or anything, I just chuck all of the ingredients into a blender and hope it turns out well!

Smoothie
handful of kale
handful of spinach
1 packet of frozen acai
a few chunks of frozen banana
frozen strawberries
frozen blueberries
a sprinkle of flax seed

Toppings
half a banana
granola
chia seeds
hemp seeds
pumpkin seeds
cacao nibs

Lunch

For lunch I went for something quick and easy: a bagel with cream 'cheese'. Not the healthiest of lunches, or the most interesting, but some days quick, satisfying lunches like this just happen.

Bagels are one of my favorite things and I am really picky about bagels, not gonna lie. I love fresh, fluffy, New York style bagels. I usually pick up a dozen bagels from Bruegger's every so often and freeze them for days like today where a bagel is the perfect quick lunch option. Today I used a plain bagel and just popped it in the toaster until it was nice and golden brown. Then I spread some Kite Hill almond cream cheese, my absolute favorite cream cheese substitute, on top and it was ready to eat!

Snack

For a snack I had my favorite kind of apple, a honey crisp apple! I really like chopping up apples quite thinly so that they become a nice snack food that I can munch on for a bit while working on either school work when I'm in school or since I am currently home for the holidays, watching a little TV on my laptop.

Dinner

For dinner I had some leftovers from the night before, a quick quinoa dish with sweet potatoes. My mother made me this for Thanksgiving this year, since no one else in my family is vegan, and ever since it has become one of my favorite dishes. It wasn't the most Thanksgiving-y dish because of the spicy flavors, but it worked well for my first plant based Thanksgiving! And it does't hurt that I now have this amazing meal idea to enjoy on a regular basis.

Quinoa
1 cup tricolor quinoa
1 can black beans
1 tsp coconut oil
2 tbsp red onion
1 tbsp jalapeno
2 tbsp red bell pepper
2 cups vegetable broth
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of ground pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp chili powder

Sweet Potatoes
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 tbsp hot Hungarian paprika

Instructions
1. For the sweet potatoes, preheat oven to 375 F and line a baking tray
2. Chop them into little cubes, about 1 inch, and season with paprika
3. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until cooked, shuffling them around every so often to make sure they don't burn on one side
4. For the quinoa, finely chop the red onion, jalapeño, and red pepper
5. Heat a saucepan on a low heat and add a little bit of coconut oil
6. Sauté the chopped veggies until lightly browned
7. Add 2 cups vegetable broth, the quinoa, and black beans
8. Add in the salt, pepper, and spices
9. Let cook for about 15-20 minutes
10. Once everything has cooked, layer the quinoa in a serving dish and cover the top with the sweet potato cubes
11. Serve on a bed of spinach

Late Night Snack

Tonight I definitely indulged a bit...

I went for a couple scoops of the Nada Moo mint chocolate chip ice cream with a warm leftover chocolate crinkle cookie from Christmas. Nothing beats the combination of cold ice cream and a warm cookie! Especially when it's minty ice cream!

Claire
xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like me on Facebook

Flickr Images