Get Baked With Me: Banana Bread

January 11, 2017

What could be better than bananas in loaf form?

I love banana bread. And being able to bake a healthier, sugar free, oil free, dairy free and egg free  version of it means that it's always acceptable to have around! I spent ages trying to find a recipe that I knew all my friends and family would like since most of them aren't into the ones that actually taste healthy. This one tastes oh so bad for you, but it isn't!

I followed Cookie + Kate's recipe, with a few minor adjustments! I love the way it turned out with the few changes I made. I made the recipe plant-based friendly by subbing eggs and milk, instead of coconut oil I used apple sauce, halved the maple syrup, added an extra half of a banana to make up for moisture lost with less maple syrup, and used a tiny bit more vanilla. In the original recipe, great alternatives for a lot of ingredients are offered to adjust the recipe to different diets, which I loved since sometimes I am not completely sure what swaps will work best for a baking recipe!

Ingredients
1/3 cup organic unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal + 5 tbsp water)
3 medium ripe bananas
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips

Instructions
1. Prepare flax egg and set aside until it has a gel-like consistency
2. Preheat oven to 325 F (165 C) and line a loaf tin with parchment paper
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the apple sauce and maple syrup together
4. Add in the flax eggs and mix until well combined
5. Mix in the mashed bananas and almond milk
6. Add in the baking soda, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon
7. Slowly incorporate the flour and mix until just combined, there will be a few lumps!
8. Fold in the chocolate chips
9. Transfer batter into the loaf tin and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean
10. Let bread cool in the tin, then transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool
11. Once completely cooled, slice and enjoy! (or if you're me...give it it's on photoshoot first!)

Claire
xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like me on Facebook

Flickr Images