What's In My Fridge -- Dorm Style!

January 22, 2017

Just like watching and reading 'what I eat in a days', I love 'what's in my fridge' videos and posts as well! Just me being the super nosy person that I am...

Since I love these kinds of posts, I thought I would make my own--but in a dorm! Living in a dorm means not really having that much space for food storage because, unless you are blessed with a single, it means you share a micro fridge with 1-3 other people. I happen to only have one roommate so we just make sure to share the space pretty equally between the two of us!

I always, always, always make sure I am stocked on fruit. It is such a staple in my diet and I am lucky enough that I can get most of my fruit using my meal plan at on campus markets. Pretty much the only fruit I go out and buy from the grocery store is apples because, no offense if you actually like these, but my school only sells red delicious apples, and, well, they are certainly not delicious--I've got high standards for my apples. I usually go out and get a bag of a few honey crisp apples every once and a while, keeping in mind that I need to make sure not to get too many at once so that there is enough space for both of us in the fridge. I also keep a fruit salad that I prep about twice a week or so and some grapes that I just washed and put into containers that the market sells melon in to add to my fruit bowls when I have them. For the fruit salad, I just further chop up pre-sliced cantaloupe that I get at the market and cut up some strawberries and a honey crisp apple.

Some other staple items that I always have in the fridge are nut-cheeses, a type of nut-milk, hummus, and peanut butter. I usually get a bunch of these little containers of almond milk from the grocery store and just keep one in the fridge. They're the perfect size for a small space and it's super helpful that until opened, they don't have to be refrigerated, so I can always make sure I have enough, without taking over the fridge. As for the nut-cheeses, I can't get any of these where I am for school so I usually just stock up on them whenever I am home. My favorite is the Kite Hill almond cream cheese--hence why I have quite a few. It is perfect for spreading on bagels and having with crackers if I want a quick snack. I also have a Heidi Ho cashew cheese and a Kite Hill soft ripened almond cheese to have with crackers when I want a little variety. Hummus is another item that I usually stock up on before coming back to school from home. I always get the Trader Joe's roasted garlic hummus and, sadly, right now I only have the end of one container left! (I've been eating a lot of hummus lately....) Peanut butter is the last must-have item for me to always have in the fridge. Like the almond milk, I buy a bunch at once and just keep the opened one in the fridge. I always get the Trader Joe's creamy peanut butter because it is honestly the best peanut butter I have ever had! I love always having it on hand to have with a banana.

Right now I also have some Arrabiata sauce that I got at Trader Joe's back home for when I cook pasta in the microwave and a container of baby carrots from the school markets that I like to have with hummus. Then I just have a tiny bit of an avocado that I was lucky enough to find at the market! It is very rare that they have any that aren't super mushy, so whenever I get my hands on a ripe one I make sure to make it last!

In the freezer section of the micro fridge I keep some bagels that I got at Bruegger's back home. I am kind of picky when it comes to bagels, and I really only like fresh, fluffy ones! Anytime I go home I make sure to bring a dozen back to freeze! Then I just have the most exciting thing ever--an ice pack! Always necessary to have as a runner!

Being on a plant-based diet while living in the dorms can be pretty challenging because I can't always have the whole foods that I want and as much of it as I want on hand, so I thought I would share what I keep in my fridge to make being plant-based as easy as possible!

Claire
xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like me on Facebook

Flickr Images